South Africa has a unique mix of such environments as well a highly sophisticated medical system, making it a very fertile environment for the advancement of Wilderness Medicine. The study of Wilderness Medicine includes:
- Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine
- Tropical and Travel Medicine
- High Altitude and Mountaineering Medicine
- Expedition Medicine
- Survival, Field Craft and Equipment
- Safety, Rescue and Evacuation
- Sports Medicine and Physiology
- Preventive Medicine, Field Sanitation &
- General Environmental Medicine
- Improvised and Alternative Medicine
- Disaster and Humanitarian Assistance
- Wilderness Emergencies and Trauma Management
- Wilderness Medicine Faculty Development
- Wilderness Medicine Research
- Tactical Combat Casualty Care
- Aviation Medicine
The Wilderness Emergency Medicine Society is a Special Interest Group of the Emergency Medical Society of South Africa. It was established to assist South Africa wilderness medicine practitioners to advance their knowledge and achieve recognition.
The first task of WEMSSA is to act as a focal point for Wilderness Medical practitioners and establish a forum amongst them. To do this the Society runs a series of seminars in Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg on a regular basis. The Society also hosts an online discussion forum for its members.
The Seminar Series consists of local experts presenting on topics which address the core topics of WMS Academy. All members and non-members of EMSSA are welcome to join in the seminar series which are CPD accredited and carry credit for the WMS fellowship.
Ready to become a member?
Sign up now for exclusive benefits.